Retirement maybe be the only journey in your life when time no longer equals money, and if that’s the case, then you will love what Oregon has to offer! Amidst the breathtaking and enigmatic landscapes that pocket lively cities and an active lifestyle awaits the perfect destination for retirement in the north-western United States.
By the end of today’s article, we hope we have convinced you enough to strongly consider why Oregon can be the ideal location for your next chapter.
Why choose Beaver State for retirement?
Oregon is known for its beautiful scenery, mild climate, and laid-back lifestyle. It’s also a great place to retire, with plenty of amenities and activities to keep seniors active and engaged.
- Natural beauty: Oregon is home to stunning mountains, forests, and coastlines.
- Mild climate: Seniors will love Oregon for its balanced environment, with warm summers and cool winters.
- Active lifestyle: The Beaver State is a great place to be involved, with plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, and fishing.
- Friendly people: The people of Oregon are known for being warm and welcoming.
- Affordability: Oregon’s living cost is relatively affordable (we will get to the retirement cost section soon), especially compared to other states on the West Coast like Washington!
- Tax-friendly: The state has a tax-friendly environment for retirees, with no state income tax and a low property tax rate.
About the senior communities in Oregon
Older adults will find almost all the senior retirement facilities in Oregon offer exceptional services and amenities to its residents. Here is what to look for regarding the facilities you wish to avail as a resident!
- Dining: Seniors can enjoy multiple options, including a main dining room, a restaurant, and a coffee shop.
- Fitness: older adults who prefer an active lifestyle can find access to fitness facilities and classes.
- Activities: Retirees can participate in various activities, from social events to game nights, hosted and arranged by the community staff or care providers.
- Healthcare: Many retirement homes will receive seniors from on-site healthcare professionals, including doctors, nurses, and therapists.
- Housekeeping: Retirement communities will have seniors relaxing, knowing their rooms are cleaned and maintained regularly.
- Security: The most important thing to consider is security in a retired community. Older adults can live in a safe and secure environment with 24-hour security guards and video surveillance.
Top 7 retirement communities in Oregon
Below are 7 of the best-rated and reviewed retirement communities in Beaver State. It is important to note that the communities listed below offer all the services and amenities of any top-rated retirement home in the country!
1. Russellville Park West – Portland
Why retire in the City of Roses
Portland, also known as the City of Roses, will always be a duality of nature and modernism that is the perfect balance for a retirement hub in the US. Seniors will love retiring in Portland simply because of the following reasons:
- Natural beauty: the city of Portland is surrounded by stunning landscapes, including mountains, forests, and the infamous Columbia River. Portland offers a grand escape for outdoor activities like biking, fishing, and leisurely walks in the park.
- Excellent healthcare: Portland boasts a quality healthcare system with dedicated care for seniors. The renowned Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) leads the way with its geriatrics program. Other top hospitals like Providence Portland Medical Center and Kaiser Permanente Sunnyside Medical Center provide dedicated senior care services.
- Senior-friendly city: The City of Roses offers seniors a range of amenities and services. Portland’s public transportation system, TriMet, offers reduced fares and priority seating for seniors. Various senior centers provide social activities, health screenings, and educational classes.
- Rich attractions: Portland offers a wide range of attractions perfect for seniors. From the serene Portland Japanese Garden and the diverse Oregon Zoo to the impressive Portland Art Museum, there is something for every interest and preference.
- Top retirement homes in the state: Yes, the reason why we are here, and you should be too; the retirement communities. Portland is home to some of the best Retirement communities in Oregon. And let’s take a look at some of them!
Best retirement communities in Portland, Oregon
Portland is home to some of Oregon’s best and most well-established retirement communities. But if we had to pick five ideal communities that seniors can love, here are some of the best retirement communities in Portland, Oregon.
Active retirement communities in Oregon: What to expect?
Now that you have been acquainted with the best reasons to want to move to Oregon for a dreamy retirement, here is what you should expect!
1. Incredible senior housing options: That means for those looking for an independent living atmosphere during retirement. It can be in retirement communities or senior apartment options for 55 and older!
2. Exceptional home care services: Home care is becoming popular among US seniors, and there’s a good reason for that. When you can be assisted with the activities of daily living in the comfort of your own home, why not take it? You can expect some of the best names in home care to be available in almost all the major cities of Oregon.
3. Quality care outside of the home: Some seniors will require specific and unique support regarding health care. By that, we mean nursing home care. Seniors should expect standard nursing care from 24/7 medication management and monitoring from trained and compassionate providers.
Are retirement homes in Oregon affordable?
Well, the retirement communities Oregon has to offer are somewhat budget friendly but, at the same time, are too good to pass up. For instance, the state is relatively tax-friendly toward retirees. Seniors do not have to pay state income returns on their Social Security benefits!
Here is what you need to know about the average cost of senior care, depending on the type.
- Home care: $6,372
- Home health aide: $6,473
- Independent living: $2,000+
- Assisted living: $5,352
- Memory care: $6,100
- Nursing home (semi-private): $10,972
- Nursing home (private): $11,790
If you are interested in learning about paying for retirement, have a look at the following articles to learn more!
Finance your dream retirement
Just because your dream retirement community may seem a little out of reach does not mean it has to be.
Having a sound financial plan will always keep you ahead of the curve. Even if you are edging towards the retirement age without much in the bank, it’s okay! One of the best things about retirement in the US is that there is always time to start saving. There are different senior housing options like reverse mortgages to fall back to steer your ship toward a golden horizon!
But if you are serious about threading a financial safety net for a secured retirement, then have a look at the following strategies to help get you started!
Oregon is a beautiful place to settle down where you can peacefully gaze upon the sunrise and set on your golden years. Yes, it can be costly to retire here, but don’t let that rain down on all the positives the Beaver State offers you and your loved one!
Because sometimes, an active lifestyle with a friendly and welcoming environment against the backdrop of a scenic setting can fuel the best of what retirement offers. And it can all begin in picturesque Oregon…
Are there 55+ communities in Oregon?
Yes, there are many 55+ communities in Oregon. These retirement communities offer a variety of amenities and services specifically targeted at seniors, such as on-site healthcare, including medication management, stimulating social activities, and transportation services.
Does Oregon have senior housing?
Yes, Oregon does, in fact, provide housing options for seniors. Seniors can choose between independent and assisted living when it comes to housing. Similarly, some apartments are designed for older adults and made available exclusively for them.
What is it like to retire in Oregon?
Retiring in Oregon can be a wonderful experience. The state has a mild climate, a beautiful scenic backdrop for seniors to enjoy, and various activities for retirees to participate in. Seniors who are looking specifically for assisted living facilities in Oregon, Portland in particular, will find it to be one of the best locations in the country.
What are the downsides of retiring in Portland, Oregon?
For one, some of the best retirement communities in Oregon can be expensive. Not to say they are entirely out of reach, but when compared to the national average, retiring in Oregon is relatively high. This is due to the high cost of living. Additionally, getting around can be difficult due to the heavy traffic.