Houston, we have a problem!
In the vast landscape of retirement communities, the booming city in Texas offers a diverse range of exceptional choices that can prove challenging to narrow down to just a handful.
So brace yourself as we embark on a captivating journey through Houston’s top 9 retirement communities, where exceptional living meets a rich and fulfilling retirement experience beyond your expectations!
Why is Houston an excellent place for retirement?
Houston is a retirement gem of Texas! Though many other great cities like El Paso and San Antonio exist, Houston has been molded by exceptional growth and culture!
Here are some compelling reasons why Houston is an exceptional choice for retirement:
1. Affordable living: Houston is a melting pot of diverse cultures that have come together over the generations. The city is a canvas of rich colors reflected by arts, music, and culinary delights. And in turn, this diversity is found in attractions like galleries and theaters that seniors will love.
2. Pleasant climate: Houston is a melting pot of diverse cultures that have come together over the generations. The city is a canvas of rich colors reflected by arts, music, and culinary delights. And in turn, this diversity is found in attractions like galleries and theaters that seniors will love.
3. Cultural diversity: Houston is a melting pot of diverse cultures that have come together over the generations. The city is a canvas of rich colors reflected by arts, music, and culinary delights. And in turn, this diversity is found in attractions like galleries and theaters that seniors will love.
4. World-Class healthcare: Seniors can rest easy knowing that Houston is home to renowned medical institutions like Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center, Memorial Hermann Hospital, and more. The city’s healthcare institutions have cutting-edge facilities and provide top-notch medical services for the city’s residents.
5. Outdoor oasis: Nature enthusiasts will be delighted by Houston’s lush green parks, gardens, and proximity to beautiful Gulf Coast beaches. From exploring the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center to strolling along the Buffalo Bayou Park, there’s no shortage of outdoor journeys (like hiking, for example).
Top places for seniors to enjoy in Houston
Irrespective of age, Houston has many attractions that can attract residents of all walks! But for seniors who live or reside in retirement communities near Houston, the following attractions are a sight to breathe in and enjoy!
1. Museum District
2. Houston Zoo
3. Hermann Park
4. The Galleria
5. National Museum of Funeral History
6. NASA’s Space Center Admission
7. The Houston Museum of Natural Science
8. Children’s Museum Houston
9. Cockrell Butterfly Center
What to expect from Houston retirement communities?
Retirement communities in Houston offer a range of care types crafted to cater to the needs of older adults as per their specific requirements. These care types in Houston to expect are as follows:
Assisted living: Personalized care, amenities, and social activities for a maintenance-free lifestyle but also help with daily living assistance.
Independent living: Spacious apartments, pleasing amenities, and services for active and independent seniors who prefer a self-sufficient retirement lifestyle.
Memory care: Specialized support and secure environment for those with memory-related conditions like dementia and Alzheimer’s.
Nursing homes: Round-the-clock medical care, including medication management, rehabilitation services, and assistance for complex medical needs.
Top retirement communities in Houston, TX
Here are the top retirement communities that will skyrocket beyond your expectations!
Top of the list is the best retirement communities Houston has to offer when it comes to luxury! Residents can indulge in luxury living at The Abbey At Westminster Plaza with comfort and grace that genuinely reflects the epitome of the golden years! This premier luxury community offers an exquisite blend of elegant surroundings with exceptional facilities and is best for assisted living, independent living, memory care, and nursing home services.
Experience the epitome of refined living at The Village Of River Oaks. Nestled in the prestigious River Oaks neighborhood, this retirement community has upscale accommodations, first-class services, and a vibrant social atmosphere for seniors to breathe in and love!
When it comes to being a heaven-sent of home care agencies, Visiting Angels will be on the top 10 list. Seniors who want to live comfortably can experience compassionate and professional in-home care services provided by Visiting Angels. Their team of dedicated caregivers strives to ensure seniors receive personalized assistance and support in the comfort of their own homes.
Belmont Village Hunters Creek is a name many retirees are familiar with. This community provides seniors an enriching, engaging environment and exceptionally spacious gathering halls. An assisted living facility focusing on wellness, residents enjoy various amenities, including fitness programs like yoga or meditation, life enrichment activities, and more.
At Brookdale West University, residents can savor an active and independent lifestyle. Even though it is an assisted living facility, Brookdale West University offers a variety of well-appointed, spacious apartments, fantastic dining options, and a diverse range of recreational activities to keep seniors engaged and happy!
Another branch of the infamous Brookdale Senior Living community, The Solana Vintage Park, is just a reflection of the sunshine state in Houston! Surrounded by picturesque landscapes, this retirement community offers a vibrant social calendar filled with engaging and stimulating activities, luxurious amenities, and much more.
Seniors can experience the charm of The Village Of The Heights, one of the top-rated retirement communities in Houston. This community embraces the spirit of Houston’s historic Heights neighborhood with its beautiful architecture, welcoming environment, and an uncountable list of amenities and services.
The Concierge is just pure elegance shaped by grand architecture that invites seniors who want a comfortable and lavish retirement. This community provides personalized care services tailored to the unique requirements of seniors. The Concierge is luxury redefined with a homely atmosphere.
And Last but not least is Atria Westchase! Sometimes you have to save the best for last. Why? This retirement community blends elegance and comfort, fostering a welcoming, homely environment. Atria Westchase offers spacious apartments, proper meal plans for older adults, and engaging activities that reflect a fulfilling lifestyle worthy of the golden years.
How does luxury retirement look over in Houston?
Luxury retirement homes in Houston offer seniors an unparalleled lifestyle characterized by opulent residences, exceptional amenities, personalized services, and a vibrant social scene. It’s a time for seniors to relish in the finer things in life and embrace retirement with the utmost comfort and elegance. They can expect:
- Exquisite residences
- Resort-style amenities
- Exceptional dining experiences
- Personalized concierge services
- Engaging in social, recreational, and seasonal activities
- Wellness and unique fitness programs
- Premier locations or neighborhoods
Cost and other financial benefits of retirement in Houston
The cost of retirement is surprisingly affordable for those looking to retire in Houston! Home care services will set a retiree back $4,855 a month. While nursing homes are $7,524 (private room). For those looking at assisted living, the average cost per month is $4,241. And listed below are three main benefits of coming to Houston for retirement:
Houston offers a lower living cost than other cities. Housing, groceries, and healthcare expenses are budget-friendly, helping retirees make the most of their savings.
Texas doesn’t have a state income tax, meaning retirees keep more money. Plus, Houston’s property taxes are reasonable, saving seniors even more.
Houston has diverse and affordable housing choices, from downsizing to 55+ communities or assisted living. Retirees can find the perfect home within their budget.
Have a read of the following articles you may find helpful!
Houston’s retirement communities offer an out-of-this-world experience that transcends expectations. From The Abbey at Westminster Plaza to Atria Westchase, these incomparable havens redefine retirement living!
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to shoot for the stars and make your golden years genuinely celestial with retirement living in Houston, Texas!
Which areas in Houston are the best places to retire to?
For some great retirement destinations in Houston, locations such as The Woodlands, Sugar Land, and Clear Lake offer serene neighborhoods, convenient amenities, and a thriving senior community that retirees will come to love!
Is Houston a good place to retire to?
The retirement communities near Houston, TX, or the city itself, are great places to start a senior living journey! Houston boasts a low cost of living, a favorable tax environment, world-class healthcare facilities, diverse cultural attractions, and a warm climate, making it an ideal retirement place.
Is Houston a good place to buy a retirement home?
Houston presents numerous options for retirement homes, including active adult communities, independent living facilities, and luxury retirement communities, making it a fantastic place to find your dream retirement residence.
What are the downsides of retiring in Houston, Texas?
The following is a list of downsides of retiring in Houston, Texas:
• For one, the sunny weather also means the atmosphere is humid. So you can imagine how it gets in the summer.
• Retirees may need transportation services to get to a specific location to see an attraction.
• Traffic can be an issue.
• Houston is home to a lot of bugs and pests.
• Chances of a hurricane are often likely.
Are there any 55+ communities in Texas?
Texas can be considered one of the biggest states for retirement living. The 55+ communities in Texas range from affordable facilities to luxury senior living. The number of active 55 and over communities cannot be counted, as there are many to choose from. Some top cities with 55+ retirement communities are Houston, San Antonio, El Paso, Austin, and Dallas.