There is an excellent chance that any parent who has lightly disciplined their child for being on their gaming consoles too much is now on their smartphones, just flicking away at digital fruits or candies!
Let’s face it, irrespective of age, gaming is a gateway to a world of entertainment. And if you are a senior, retired in a nursing home, or even better yet, receiving in-home care services, let us embark on an online adventure where games are designed for entertainment and stimulation!
Why should seniors actively play games at their age?
Playing games is in our blood! Think about it: gaming is the perfect way to reconnect with one’s younger self if aging is circling back in the wheel of life. Games offer an enchanting escape from daily routines, stimulate creativity, and provide opportunities for learning and growth (not violent games, of course).
Let’s see why older adults should actively play games online!
1. Simple games can help boost cognitive abilities. For example, engaging in online games can enhance memory, attention, and problem-solving skills.
2. It allows them to stay socially connected. Yes, online games provide an opportunity to connect with friends (make new ones as well) and family. In addition, online games have chat sections where seniors can talk with like-minded individuals.
3. Online games help reduce stress and enhance the well-being of seniors. Playing interactive games can be a form of relaxation, reducing stress and promoting a positive mood, even more so if they are played from the comfort of the home.
4. It allows seniors to maintain dexterity and hand-eye coordination. In addition, certain games like virtual painting allow seniors with cognitive issues to strengthen coordination while being at ease. Such games develop their reflexes and keep their motor skills sharp.
6. Games help improve decision-making skills. For example, strategy-based games like chess can enhance seniors’ decision-making abilities and critical thinking.
7. Games offer enjoyment and entertainment outlet for seniors. Quite simply, playing games is fun! It always has been, no matter the age. It brings joy, laughter, and a sense of satisfaction to older adults.
Board games vs. online games for seniors
Has anyone ever played Snakes and Ladders? While online games offer unique advantages and charm for seniors to delve into, board games are what started it all and are still a staple in almost every household. If you look hard enough, chances are you will find a Ludo-based game board lying around in virtually every American home. So which is better for seniors?
Board games: Classical fun and socially interactive
Board games have long been a beloved pastime for seniors. There was a time it allowed them to interact with their children and grandchildren. They offer a sentimental and tactile experience, bringing friends and family together for shared moments of laughter and friendly competition.
Board games allow seniors to disconnect from screens and engage in face-to-face communications, which can help foster social bonds and create memorable experiences.
Online games: Highly convenient and intuitive
We will live in a world where everything is online, and apps are the go-to station for an online journey. Online games open up a world of entertainment and communication for seniors. With just a few clicks, older adults can access free online games from the comfort of their own homes. Free games online for seniors offer convenience and flexibility to play whenever and wherever they choose.
These games also provide diversity in genres, including puzzles, strategy, trivia, and brain-training games.
Top 10 free online games for seniors
When it comes to online gaming, there’s an abundance of accessible selections available that cater explicitly to seniors. Here are some of the best and most diverse games that are stimulating and entertaining, and we are sure the seniors will agree!
1. Mahjong Dimensions
Older adults love Mahjong, and now they can experience mind-bending puzzles with Mahjong Dimensions. This captivating game takes the classic tile-matching game to new heights by challenging you to clear 3D tiles against the ticking clock. If you are a senior looking to sharpen your skills, then this engaging game is for you!
Get ready to put your logical thinking and problem-solving abilities to the test with Sudoku. This popular numbers-based puzzle game has been around since you could count. Sudoku offers various difficulty levels, ensuring a challenge suitable for beginners and professional players.
3. Words with Friends
games have a different charm to them, and that is why Words with Friends is a stimulating adventure that seniors will get a kick out of! This multiplayer game allows one to challenge friends or compete against opponents worldwide. As a result, seniors can expand their vocabulary and test their strategic skills while enjoying the addictive nature of Words with Friends.
A game with a timeless appeal, Solitaire, is also available online. This classic card game provides a relaxing and engaging experience for seniors to sort and stack cards to win the game. Older adults can indulge in a round of this addictive game that has been around for decades and will continue to do so!
5. Crossword Puzzle
Who does not love crossword puzzles? You will always find an older adult sitting with a magazine or the newspaper, doing their crossword puzzles. This game allows seniors to exercise their language and general knowledge with interactive crossword puzzles.
Now this is the strategy game that really stimulates the brain and improves logic. Seniors can face off against AI or computer-generated opponents to test their skills and wits! This intellectually stimulant game is available on many websites and apps; best of all, it is free!
7. Bubble Shooter
If you are a senior looking for a game that will improve your coordination, try Bubble Shooter. Older adults can try their aiming skills in the addictive world of Bubble Shooter. With its vibrant visuals and challenging gameplay, this online game offers an entertaining experience that will keep
seniors glued to the screen.
With its vibrant graphics and engaging mechanics, Bejeweled provides a delightful and entertaining experience for players of all ages. This is another puzzle game with a glittery twist that seniors will love diving into for entertainment and stimulation.
9. Candy Crush Saga
Candy Crush, when it first came out, took the world of online app gaming by storm! And even to this day, you will find seniors with this app on their phones or tablet. Candy Crush offers one of the sweetest adventures by matching candies and solving puzzles. It’s vibrant and challenging, making it highly entertaining for seniors!
10. 8 Ball Pool
If one game is widely popular amongst seniors, it should be pool. And why not? Especially when the enigmatic Paul Newman made it look so cool! We have to hand it to the creators of 8 Ball Pool; they have made the best virtual billboard to play pool on. Seniors can showcase their skills in this multiplayer pool game, compete with players worldwide, participate in tournaments, and much more!
Free online games for seniors with dementia
Keeping dementia patients engaged can be challenging but also a worthwhile experience, especially if they are seniors. It turns out there are specific companies that have dedicated to making games just for seniors with dementia, so they are not left out!
1. MindMate is considered an excellent game for seniors suffering from dementia, but they would love to immerse themselves in an interactive experience! This is where MindMate comes in. Seniors can enjoy challenging themselves with tasks that improve memory, attention, problem-solving, and reasoning skills.
2. Lumosity is a brain training program that offers a range of cognitive exercises designed to improve memory and attention. The game is designed to help exercise a senior’ memory, flexibility, and more. It is considered to be a top-rated game worldwide.
3. Flower Garden is another great online game for those living in memory care services! Easy to play and a great game that is actually designed to ensure people with dementia experience signs of improvement when it comes to playing!
4. SingFit is an interactive music therapy program that is not only fun but interactive. It allows seniors with dementia a chance at therapy through singing and movement. It is great for
5. Virtual painting games can be considered an ideal pastime and cognitive booster for seniors. Suppose you are looking for games for the elderly online. In that case, you cannot go wrong with virtual painting games, as they offer intuitive experiences and a creative outlet for seniors with dementia, allowing them to express themselves through art.
It’s all fun and games until someone comes in and pulls the plug! But when it comes to seniors, we should be promoting gaming in the golden years!
Online games are becoming an invaluable and enjoyable pursuit for seniors, and rightly so! They offer numerous benefits, from cognitive stimulation to social interaction and, most importantly, a nostalgic gateway to their youth. So if you are a senior reading this, do not hesitate to embark on a digital adventure. There are plenty to pick from, and just a click away!
But it is essential to point out to stay active outdoors as well!
Are online games good for seniors?
Online games are an excellent way for seniors to pass the time. They can be beneficial for seniors as they offer cognitive stimulation, social interaction, and entertainment. This promotes overall well-being. Online games for the elderly are also great, as they can help with mental stimulation while being fun and interactive.
Is there a free online Scrabble game for seniors?
There are many free online versions of Scrabble, such as Words with Friends, that seniors can enjoy to check their vocabulary skills and connect with friends. Pogo games are another option where seniors can play Scrabble for free online. In addition, most websites have multiple free games available for seniors.
Do brain games help seniors?
Brain games are the best stimulant for memory functions, irrespective of age. They can benefit seniors as they promote cognitive improvement, especially in memory and critical thinking skills. Different games like Chess or Scrabble offer additional advantages for seniors as brain-stimulating games! These kinds of games are helpful mainly for dementia patients.
What game for the elderly to play alone?
Seniors online games offer a diverse option for elderly individuals to play alone. Solitaire, Sudoku, crossword puzzles, and Chinese poker are popular choices that provide mental stimulation and entertainment and can be enjoyed playing alone!
What kind of video games do seniors play?
Modern-day has introduced us to mobile applications available on smartphones and tablets. Games like Candy Crush or 8 Ball are easy to play. In addition, more interactive games like ‘Age of Empires’ and ‘Civilization’ are available for seniors. These games are fun, help pass the time and even connect with their younger selves!