At the time I’m writing this article, we are getting closer to the results of our elections. Though we might have differences in opinions, there is one emotion that unites us: the unparalleled love we feel for our country. No matter what, our patriotic love for America will never change. And that’s why we’ve come up with 40 Veterans Day Quotes of appreciation for them.
Veterans Day is once again here on November 11, and we all have our plans to commemorate this wonderful event.
“But this Veterans Day, I believe we should do more than sing the praises of the bravery and patriotism that our veterans have embodied in the past. We should take this opportunity to re-evaluate how we are treating our veterans in the present.” – Nick Lampson
Many of us choose to reach out to our veterans, to show them that they are beloved and appreciated to this day. If you are here for ideas on how to craft a gratifying Veterans Day message, then you’re in the right place for 40 Veterans Day Quotes of appreciation.
What is a Veteran?
A Veteran is someone who has served in the military. They may have been in the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, or Coast Guard. Veterans have many skills that they learn while serving, such as discipline, teamwork, and leadership. They often use these skills in their civilian lives. Veterans are also eligible for benefits, such as healthcare and education benefits.
What Do You Say on Veterans Day?
Words cannot express how grateful I am to you for everything you’ve done for our country. Thank you for your bravery, your spirit, and your service. God bless you and your family. All the sacrifices you’ve made paved the way for our freedom.
We must remember that it’s not only the veterans but their families as well, who had to pay a high price. Waiting at home while your loved ones put their lives at risk – it’s no easy feat. We should extend our gratitude not only to the veterans but their families as well! It’s easy: Here’s how you can send a letter to a veteran.
Now, we showed you how to send a letter to our veterans. But, what would be a fitting Veterans Day message to put in this letter? We’ve got you covered on that as well.
What Do You Say to a Veteran in a Letter?
Dear Veteran, if it weren’t for your courage, we would not have known this freedom that we enjoy. You and your families have gone through endless pain for our sake; you have our heartfelt gratitude. Happy Veterans Day! Thank you for your service.
“Veteran” is an accolade you have earned by serving our country, by being one of her fundamental building blocks. You should carry this title with pride, and know that you are honored and appreciated by all of America’s children. As Cynthia Ozick said, “We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.” You are the beacon of the freedom we have today. I am grateful to you, not only on Veterans Day but every other day of the year as well.
Top 40 Veterans Day Quotes
9 best veteran’s day quotes
If I asked you to define a Veteran, how would you do so? These brave soldiers volunteered to put themselves in danger, so we could spend our days in peace; they are the ones who toiled so we could see the brighter days. So, we’ve collected some mesmerizing quotes that focus on our American veterans and delve into the question: “What is a veteran?” Here are 9 among 40 Veterans Day Quotes of appreciation.
- “Honoring the sacrifices many have made for our country in the name of freedom and democracy is the very foundation of Veterans Day.” – Charles B. Rangel
- “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” — General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
- “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” – G.K. Chesterton
- “The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.“ – Douglas Macarthur
- “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.” – Nathan Hale
- “Our veterans accepted the responsibility to defend America and uphold our values when duty called.” – Bill Shuster
- “The soldier’s heart, the soldier’s spirit, the soldier’s soul, are everything.” – George Marshall
- “We must never forget why we have and why we need our military. Our armed forces exist solely to ensure our nation is safe, so that each and every one of us can sleep soundly at night, knowing we have ‘guardians at the gate.’” – Allen West
- “The veterans of our military services have put their lives on the line to protect the freedoms that we enjoy. They have dedicated their lives to their country and deserve to be recognized for their commitment.” – Judd Gregg
10 Quotes befitting our heroes: Sending out a Veterans Day message
We’ve read quotes on “what makes them Veterans.” But what makes them our heroes? Let’s look into some deep quotes that’ll take your breath away. We’ve chosen the 5 most remarkable quotes from the following 10 and designed simple greeting cards. If you were planning on sending a postcard but were out of inspiration – this is for you! Here are 10 more among 40 Veterans Day Quotes of appreciation.
- “The brave die never, though they sleep in dust: Their courage nerves a thousand living men.” – Minot J. Savage
- “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
- “They may take our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom!” – Mel Gibson
- “It is not enough to fight. The issue is decided by the spirit we bring to the fight. It is morale that wins the victory.” – General George Catlett Marshall
- “Valor is stability, not of legs and arms, but of courage and the soul.” – Michel de Montaigne
- “Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.” – Billy Graham
- “You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore.” – William Faulkner
- “Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway.” – John Wayne
- “Valor is a gift. Those having it never know for sure whether they have it until the test comes.” – Carl Sandburg
- “There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure.” – Colin Powell
10 quotes depicting our resilience and gratitude
Here we have some quotes that capture us Americans as a nation: our outstanding courage, our relentless resilience, and our vigorous feelings for our veterans. We’ve prepared some cards for you that compete for the best Veterans Day message! Print one out and send it, or stick it on your fridge.
- “This will remain the land of the free so long as it is the home of the brave.” – Elmer Davis
- “Americans never quit.” – General Douglas MacArthur
- “Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it… it flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.” – Unknown
- “Without the brave efforts of all the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines and their families, this Nation, along with our allies around the world, would not stand so boldly, shine so brightly and live so freely.” – Lane Evans
- “The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude.” – Jeff Miller
- “My father had many, many veterans over to the house, and the older I got the more I appreciated their sacrifice.” – Steven Spielberg
- “Because all of us believe and understand in the fabric of the common bond of why we call ourselves American is to care for the men and women who wear the uniform; and when they take off the uniform, we care for them when they are veterans.” – Steve Buyer
- “We owe our World War II veterans – and all our veterans – a debt we can never fully repay.” – Doc Hastings
- “On the battlefield, the military pledges to leave no soldier behind. As a nation, let it be our pledge that when they return home, we leave no veteran behind.” – Dan Lipinski
- “We are called the nation of inventors. And we are. We could still claim that title and wear its loftiest honors if we had stopped with the first thing we ever invented, which was human liberty.” – Mark Twain
11 Prominent quotes from our past leaders
Finally, to end our collection of Veterans Day quotes, we’ve chosen some of the most iconic quotes from our past presidents (in no specific order). Let us know which is the closest to your heart. Which quote gives you goosebumps? And which fills you with pride for our Nation? Finally, which do you like the most? Comment below!
- “If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.” – George Washington
- “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don’t have the strength.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson
- “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country’s cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as he best can, the same cause.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: ‘I served in the United States Navy.’” – John F. Kennedy
- “Never was so much owed by so many to so few.” – Winston Churchill
- “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.” – John F. Kennedy
- “The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation.” – George Washington
- “I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior, except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.” – Theodore Roosevelt
Veterans Day is a time to remember the brave men and women who have served our country. These courageous individuals have put their lives on the line to protect our freedom, and we owe them a debt of gratitude. This holiday is a chance for us to come together and thank our veterans for their service. Let’s take a moment to remember all that they have done for us, and let’s pledge to always support our veterans.
We’ve provided some lovely Veterans Day messages and quotes on how you can make this year’s Veterans Day memorable for our veterans. If you are lucky enough to have a veteran in your family, make him or her feel loved. If not, reach out to one and make a new friend! All in all, we hope we were able to inspire you to make the most out of this day!
What are veterans’ day quotes?
Veterans’ day quotes are statements that commemorate the service of veterans. They can be expressions of gratitude, or simply reminders of the sacrifices that have been made. Some common veterans’ day quotes include “Thank you for your service,” “Freedom is not free,” and “Never forget those who have served.”
Why is veterans’ day on November 11?
Veterans’ day celebrates and honors all military veterans who have served in the United States armed forces. Veterans’ day is on November 11 because it is the anniversary of the signing of the armistice agreement that ended World War I.
What was veterans’ day originally called?
Veterans’ day was originally called Armistice Day because it is the anniversary of the armistice agreement which ended World War I.
Do you say happy veterans’ day?
Yes, you can definitely say happy veterans’ day!
What is the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day?
The main difference between Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day is, that Memorial Day is a day to remember those who died in service to their country. Veterans’ Day is a day to honor all military veterans, living and dead.
What does veterans’ day celebrate?
Veterans’ Day celebrates the service of military veterans. It is a day to thank those who have served in the military, both past and present, for their sacrifices and contributions to the country.